Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Setting

I've been thinking a lot recently on how to create my settings for the narrative. I know that my main setting is in a forrest and that I want to play on the fact that there are shadows and noises and darkness to provoke fear in my audience initially but I wasn't too sure of how to go about it in the best way that would also translate well to screen. So i've done some research into how other people go about creating settings for stop motion and here are some of the things which I found and thought were really good...

http://www.sublackwell.co.uk/portfolio-book-cut-sculpture/
This link is to Su Blackwell's online portfolio. Su Blackwell is an artist who creates beautiful scenes out of paper and lights and photographs them.
”For the cut-out illustrations, I tend to lean towards young-girl characters, placing them in haunting, fragile settings, expressing the vulnerability of childhood, while also conveying a sense of childhood anxiety and wonder. There is a quiet melancholy in the work, depicted in the material used, and choice of subtle colour.”
I was draw to her work as I like the idea of a cut out forrest set. The fact that she lights her work beautifully casts shadows and this is something which I would like to create within my own work. 

http://clairmonaghan.wordpress.com
This link is to the blog of student Clair monaghan. I really like her quirky set designs.  

http://www.coroflot.com/JoshFunk/Concept-Art-n-Set-Design
The part of this link that I found useful was looking at the miniature paper set created for a music video. 

http://www.designboom.com/art/saran-yenpanya-paper-cut-out-animation/
This link is to a miniature paper set design with lots of components and colours.



After looking at these examples the idea of creating a set really began to appeal to me. This is something that I haven't done before however so I decided to make some simple test pieces which I can later photograph and use light to manipulate the shadows. If this Idea doesn't work I still like the idea of using cut outs and that is something I will use when creating a final outcome for my setting.









No comments:

Post a Comment