Tuesday, 16 April 2013

Digital Illustration Research

Although I know that I want a hand made feel and aspect to my work I think it is important to inform myself about how other illustrators are working and changing the way they work to keep up with the new screen based platform for displaying work. In todays society people are viewing things more and more via screens, it's is important (for this project especially) that I have knowledge of how this is changing and evolving illustration.

http://weburbanist.com/2010/02/15/dazzling-digital-illustration-15-artists-to-watch/
This first link is an article about 15 digital illustrators to watch. One of the illustrators who stood out to me personally from this page was Alberto Cerriteno, who said "Painting and fine art provide richness and a feeling that I like – and results that are impossible to create from scratch on the computer. But working with Photoshop and Illustrator daily gives me tools and resources to explore. I think you should use any media if the results are worth it. Lately, I’ve been experimenting with adding texture to my paintings digitally." http://www.computerarts.co.uk/interviews/qa-alberto-cerriteƱo this link it to an interview he did which I found very interesting.

Another Illustrator from the first link that I looked up and found very interesting was Shane Prigmore. The following link is to his blog of ongoing processes for his work. 
http://shaneprigmore.blogspot.co.uk Looking at the stages he takes when creating and animating characters was really useful to me. obviously his work is far more advanced and sophisticated than I could even wish mind to be at this stage but it is nice to be able to view his process and spot similarities in method and give me ideas about where to move my work next.


http://www.clippingimages.com/blog-by-post/525/overview-and-concept-of-digital-illustration


The final link is to a guardian article by illustrator Chris Riddell, evaluating a new era of illustration and what this means for current illustrators. http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2012/aug/12/chris-riddell-new-era-illustration
"As the Kindle's dread grip on digital publishing is challenged by tablet computers and android smartphones, with their bright screens and high resolution, the need for illustration is growing. Newspapers such as the Guardian and the Observer, meanwhile, are expanding into the internet's broad open spaces - spaces with plenty of room for illustration.
At the same time graphic novels, computer games and CGI animation are blurring the old distinctions and categories in publishing. In the digital future, texts will be annotated visually, animated and illustrated like never before. The austere 'prayer book' paper that permitted the space for Shepard's illustrations to Pepys' diaries is now being recreated in the digital era.
It is a space waiting to be filled by today's illustrators"


No comments:

Post a Comment