I didn't want to completely disregard my previous narrative after my meeting with my tutors so I decided to try and keep some key elements, such as setting and characters. In my previous unit one theorist on narrative theory that I found really useful was Todorov.
Todorov’s theory suggests that stories begin with equilibrium, a calm where all opposing forces are evenly balanced. This equilibrium is then disrupted by the introduction of a problem. The body of the story is then made up of problems being realized and solved in order to restore equilibrium.
Using this structure really helped me when creating a narrative for my last unit. I gave the story more substance as the characters were progressing through different levels instead of always remaining in one place. I think using this structure again will help me improve my narrative for this unit and discover themes or morals as I do so.
Now I already have the equilibrium stage of my story sorted - A little boy in his bed at home. Home and bed are associated with safety to children, therefore giving me my equilibrium. Originally I planned to have him reading in bed but now I think I will have the character being asleep to begin with, in a state of calm and rest before I introduce the disruption. I still want to use the character of the dog in my narrative also and the idea of dogs being quite wolf like. I was thinking of introducing a disruption by having a noise wake the boy up. I decided that a bark from a dog would be a good way to introduce the dog character and disturb the boys sleep. Upon waking up he looks at the dogs bed to see what is wrong and discovers that his dog is gone and is somewhere outside. (Introducing disruption)
In order to restore an equilibrium the boy must go outside to find his dog and bring him home safely. Now this is where I intend to use shadows and the nighttime to provoke fear in the audience, adding to the disruption. Reaching this part of my story has helped me think of introducing a theme/moral that 'Things aren't always what they appear.' I would show this theme to the audience by building up fear and then showing that everything is really okay. For example now the little boy is outside he goes into the woods in search for his dog. There are noises, there are shadows, all the settings needed to create fear. At first I imagined he could have eyes watching him, he would at first be afraid only to realise that it was a harmless family of owls watching him. Next he would go a little further into the woods and feel as though something is grabbing him, he would panic and cry out only to realise it was only his shirt caught in a tree branch. Finally the biggest fear would be introduced by a sound. He would hear a howl and assume it was a wolf. He would turn to run only to discover it wasn't a wolf howling at all but his lost dog ! Equilibrium is restored and could be further cemented by showing the little boy back in bed and the end with his dog curled up beside him.
I think that this theme of "Things aren't always what they appear" could work well to add substance to my narrative and be successful with a child audience. Other picture books i've looked at contain a similar theme e.g. Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, Good Little Wolf by Nadia Shireen and The Big Bad Wolf and me by Delphine Perret.
I also think this moral could translate well to screen based outcomes, through the use of sound especially. Similar ideas have appeared in children's animated films making me think they would be receptive to such as message as well as seeing it as a form of light relief e.g. Balto, Brother Bear, Brave and Wreck it Ralph (just to name a few)
I'm actually really glad that I was told to rethink my narrative and give it a theme as this has now allowed me to think of different ways to reach and provoke emotions from my audience and I think my outcome will be more successful for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment